This guide provides the procedure for setting up the license server from which users check out floating seats.
If your configuration requires custom ports or a specific hostname, please see our Advanced installation guide.
For guidance on installing the license server on cloud services (e.g. Amazon Web Services), please see our Cloud installation guide.
You may install the GWB license server components on any non-ARM CPU based version of Windows currently supported by Microsoft.
Begin by locating the following:
- The server installer executable, for example “SVR1700_setup.exe”, for GWB Server
- Your server activation code, for use on the license server only, looks like “GXXXXXX-XXXXXXXX”
Installation and activation
- Run the server installer executable following the prompts and taking note of the folder where the GWB Server software was installed (e.g. “C:\Program Files\GwbLicenseServer”).
Note that if the “lmgrd.exe“ and “hydrokey.exe” files are moved from their installation folder they will not function correctly unless the entire installation folder is moved as well.
- Launch the activation utility from the GwbLicenseServer folder or the Windows start menu
- Select New... in the activation utility
- When the Activate GWB dialog opens, enter your activation code and press Activate
If you encounter issues with activating your license, please see our activation troubleshooting guide.
- Close the activation utility
Configure and start license service
- Launch LMTOOLS, the FLEXlm tools program, from the GwbLicenseServer folder or the Windows start menu
- On the Server/License File pane in LMTOOLS, make sure ”Configuration using Services” is selected
- Complete the Config Services pane as follows
- Specify a Service Name
- Enter the Path to lmgrd.exe file, which is located in the GwbLicenseServer installation folder
- Set as well the Path to the license file, found in the same folder.
Note that this file is a generic stub license that causes the vendor daemon to look in trusted storage for licenses that
have been activated with the activation utility.
- A Path to the debug log file is optional, but useful when issues arise.
Locate the file in a folder where the Windows Local Service user has full control.
Setting “C:\ProgramData\gwb_license_server.log” should work well.
- Select the Start Server at Power Up and Use Services options
- Save the service
If you have an existing service and need to add another service simply start typing in the Service Name entry, fill out the rest of the details, and once saved you will have multiple services in the Service Name dropdown to choose between.
- Move to the Start/Stop/Reread pane and click on Start Server
If you have multiple services configured you may first need
to choose the service you want to start on the Service/License File pane by selecting the correct service in the listbox.
- Check the log file to make sure LMGRD was able to start the vendor daemon and locate the activation
Now that you have your GWB license server installed and configured successfully, you can proceed to either the basic client installation page for setting up clients individually or the advanced client installation page for setting up multiple clientsat once so end users may run the GWB applications
If you follow the instructions on this page and encounter issues setting up a floating license, please consult our troubleshooting guide.