Got it, downloaded it, and made an activity diagram. Thanks for making a great product!
– Megan E. M., University of Oklahoma
The software is quite user friendly and the instruction manual straightforward.
– Hlanganani Tutu, University of the Witwatersrand
The Essentials edition Geochemist's Workbench® Release 12 makes quick work of some of the tasks most commonly encountered in geochemistry. With a few mouse clicks, you can balance reactions, figure equilibrium constants, and produce Eh-pH (Pourbaix) and activity diagrams.
Quickly calculate speciation in solution, mineral saturation and gas partial pressure, and the equilibrium fractionation of stable isotopes.
The package features a spreadsheet designed to hold and manipulate your geochemical data.
Spreadsheet for geochemists
Program GSS is the Geochemist's spreadsheet, designed to hold and manipulate your chemical analyses. Paste in your data and you can:
- Convert chemical units
- Compute mineral saturation, gas fugacity
- Check for charge balance and figure TDS
- Figure aqueous species distribution, redox state
- Compare replicates and check standards
- Produce time series, cross plots, and ternary plots
- Make Piper, Stiff, Durov, ion balance diagrams
And much more. Still keeping your analyses in Excel?
Program Rxn uses an intuitive basis swapping method to balance chemical reactions and compute reaction properties. From the concise graphic user interface, you can:
- Balance reactions among aqueous species, minerals, and gases
- Calculate equilibrium constants—log Ks
- Compute free energy changes of reaction
- Identify spontaneous, equilibrium, and endergonic reactions
- Figure equilibrium equations
- Determine equilibrium temperatures
Eh-pH and activity diagrams
Programs Act2 and Tact produce diagrams showing areas of predominance for aqueous species, and stability ranges of minerals and gases. Set as axis variables:
- Eh and pH, including Pourbaix diagrams
- Aqueous species activity
- Gas fugacity
You can also make:
- Solubility diagrams
- Mosaic diagrams
- Temperature-activity diagrams
Distribution of species
SpecE8 calculates the distribution of mass among aqueous species. Use the program to:
- Figure concentration, activity, activity coefficients
- Calculate mineral saturation indices
- Compute gas fugacity and partial pressure
- Temperature effects on speciation
- Plot Piper, Stiff, Schoeller, ion balance diagrams
- Apply the "Pitzer equations" for activity coefficients
- Model sorption, ion exchange, surface complexation
SpecE8 also computes the equilibrium isotope fractionation in a geochemical system:
- Among aqueous species, on a per-species basis
- Between minerals, gases, and fluid
- Input is fluid's bulk isotopic composition
- Data included for 2H, 13C, 18O, and 34S
- Extensible for any element with a dominant mass
- Multiple isotopes per element (e.g., 17O, 18O)
Thermo data editor
TEdit is a graphical editor for creating and modifying thermodynamic and surface reaction datasets. You can:
- View and edit data tables, elements, species, reactions, log Ks, and virial coefficients
- Add, delete, sort, or copy and paste entries
- Rebalance reactions and recalculate log Ks
- Exchange the location of basis, redox, and aqueous species
- Change a database's redox pivot: O2, H2, or e-
Need more power?
Upgrade your Essentials license to GWB 12 Standard or Professional for just the difference in price.